11.28.2006

Guster is Non-Mainstream AND Good!

I had to laugh at this editorial that appeared today in the Chicago Maroon, the University of Chicago's student newspaper.

The author brings up some great points about people who like non-mainstream bands, most of them sounding almost exactly the same. Have you ever heard someone tell you, "I really like insert obscure band name here's music. You've probably never heard them, because they're not on the radio, but their songs just SPEAK to me. Blah, Blah Blah. "? I have a few times. What kind of joy do people get out of the fact that their bands are obscure? Most obscure bands are obscure for a reason: they're just NOT THAT GOOD!

I liked how this article used Guster as an example of an obscure band that actually has a good, unique, enjoyable sound. Certainly nothing else out there really compares, especially to some of the new ground the band has broken with Ganging Up on the Sun. I really don't think the band deserves its obscurity. I'm sure Guster would like to become a little more mainstream, earn a little bit more money, and sell out shows across the country. They certainly have the talent to do it, but I doubt they'll ever have the following of U2. Unfortunately, some things look like they'll never change.

It's a rare occasion, but I always smile when I hear Satellite or One Man Wrecking Machine on the radio. Maybe it's a good thing that the songs aren't killed by too much radio play, but I would like to hear a bit more Guster on my radio stations. What do you think about Guster's status as an obscure band? Please comment and let us all know.

No comments: